Thursday, February 24, 2011

Politicians, Power and Invertebrates

If my memory serves me right, I was taught that an animal that lacked a spine is called an invertebrate. The older I get, the more I believe that most politicians fall into this category. Having never been elected by my fellow citizens, I do not know exactly how, or why, this transformation takes place. But it does! When one is looking for a vote his spine is as rigid as an oak plank, but as soon as he realizes he has won, he donates his oak plank to the nearest furniture mill. He’s not going to need it anymore, he’s a politician.

Once his lungs grow accustomed to the air of power that his elected position provides, his only concern is making sure that his lungs get their fix. What a rush it must be! I say that because most will abandon truth, their principles and sometimes even decency to assure that their future as a power-inhaling, elected official is secure.

My, oh my, how our day cries out for men of integrity. People who will do what is right, even it if means they may not be re-elected. I am not talking about disregarding the will of their constituents. I am talking about making courageous choices in challenging times. Doing what is right.

No comments:

Followers