Thursday, October 9, 2008

Cooney's 3 P's of Preachers

Cooney, I loved the 3 P's you shared with us about preachers. But I fear some may not understand. So I have taken the liberty to build on the foundation which you have laid.

I.Pot-bellied
As one spends much time in deep study and meditation, his legs begin to swell because of fluid retention brought on by a lack of circulation. This swelling eventually rises throughout the torso giving the appearance of obesity. The truth is preachers are not fat we just look that way because of years of study.

II.Poor
This is not a statement of financial status, but rather a state of pity. ie...that poor dog. It is not that the dog lacks money, but his state is so pitiful that it warrants sympathy. We preachers might warrant sympathy for a number of reasons.
A. After hearing a sermon......."that poor preacher"
B. After seeing me eat.........."that poor preacher"
C. After hearing me sing........"that poor preacher"

III. Penniless
No denying this one...we missionary baptist preachers are broke. I have often wondered why the Lord's churches don't do a better job of taking care of their pastors. Those who have devoted themselves to the ministry full time are at the complete mercy of the church. The church I pastor does a good job of taking care of me and my family. Could they do more? Absolutely! But then as my hackles get up over being under compensated, I always have one thought cross my mind ....................... Am I even worth what I'm getting now.

No comments:

Followers