Friday, January 23, 2009

The Doors

Have you ever heard, or maybe used, the reference to God "opening and closing doors"? This expression is usually used when a person is facing a difficult decision. In an effort to find the proper exit, people ask God to shut down every unprofitable lane and draw them to their proper destination. Certainly, no one is arguing the desire for God's leadership or His ability to control all things and present opportunities. But if we are not careful, we will crash.

Life is about choices. Some spiritual. Some physical. Not all situations have a "wrong" choice. Blue shirt or red shirt? My choice. But neither choice is a "bad" one.

But some choices do have consequences and some of these consequences can be quite severe. If you refuse to acknowledge your sinful condition and need of a Savior, eternal torment will be your consequence. But it is your choice.

As God's people, we need to be careful how we view God's role in our decisions. Waiting for God to "open" or "shut" doors before we will commit to a decision, is often the result of a skewed view. Before we make a decision, we are often looking for external manifestation even though we have already received internal confirmation.

"Life is a highway" and if we desire that God close off every lane other than our own and only open the exits He wants us to take, we are desiring a somewhat Calvinistic existence.

One of the most difficult decisions I have ever made was leaving Holleyman Chapel MBC to come to Whispering Pines MBC. If I had decided to stay where I was, would that have been an ungodly choice? Whispering Pines wanted me to come in view of a call. The door of opportunity had been opened. But should I have waited for doors to close? Maybe I should have waited for my business to start failing, the church to start splitting, my wife to lose her job and the boys to start having serious problems at school. Then I would have known that God was closing doors.

But the problem was that I already knew what God wanted. Not from some external "signs" such as the slamming of doors, but by God leading in my heart. I just knew it!

Most pastors receive numerous opportunities to go preach in view of a call at another church. These are open doors. Are they not? But just because a door opens does not mean that it is God's perfect will for us to walk through it. I think it wise that we base our decisions not on external expectations but rather on those things the Lord has already given us...His Word and His Spirit.

5 comments:

Big J said...

I have often struggled with this idea...I really appreciate your post. I came across the following post when I was checking out Higgy's blog site. It is along the same lines but deals more with the thought of "Waiting on God".

http://kevinleehiggins.wordpress.com/2009/01/20/do-we-wait-on-god-or-not/

Let me know what you think.

I also think many times we let our heart lead us? The Scripture tells us that the heart is decietfully wicked and it cannot truly be trusted (by heart I mean our emotions) I believe sometimes our hearts can be bigger than our heads and instead of allowing good old God given sense we make a rash emotional choice that leads to very detrimental consequences.

Julie Halliday said...

Sometimes we should peep through the window and see what's on the other side first.

I know how hard it is to walk through a door not knowing what's in store. I wanted to keep going and find the back door! I wanted to get out, and still do.

You had a hard time making a decision to go to Whispering Pines. I had a hard time leaving there. Of course, you already knew that. Anyway, I was forced to walk through that door. Otherwise, I might have been divorced right now!

Maybe it's not about which door you choose, it's what you do once you're there.

How do you know for sure which door to choose? Judging from my emotional state, I'd say we made a mistake. I'd say we should have stayed there. I know I'd be happier. Shouldn't it be easier if we'd chosen the right door? Why would God lead us through a door knowing the turmoil it is causing? Or is this the devil telling me we made a mistake. How do I know for certain?

Fortunately, I get to blame it all on my husband. I didn't go knocking around. I was very happy with the doors locked.

JamesCharles said...

"Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas... and Saul. As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away" (Acts 13:1-3).

I'm sure Saul and Barnabas could've up and took that journey at any time before. We have no record that the door wasn't already "open". So Saul and Barnabas didn't do anything until the Lord put it in their hearts. If we make this our example, where does the question come in?

Arch Bishop said...

Door is a term that speaks of opportunities. Satan can give opportunities also. His look pretty good, if you are looking for the wrong things.

JamesCharles said...

Satan's doors can look good, even if you have good intentions too. For instance, a good intention is helping churches and winning souls. None would fault you for these things. So if you went in view at a church that was really hurting, and it isnt God's perfect will for you to leave, then you might be tempted strongly. It can look good, even though you have the best of intentions. I suppose what Brother Merritt was saying is they look good if you are looking for ANYTHING other than God's perfect will. Amen brother!

Followers