Friday, January 9, 2009

The Old People Were Right...Again!

When I first started on the endeavor of writing my thesis for my Master's Degree (25,000 words) I kept hearing people say how 25,000 words was not enough to sufficiently cover a subject. Although never expressed audibly, I'm thinking these people just don't know what there talking about.

I know that they have already walked this path before. I know that they have already written their thesis. But I'm Mike Wilkes. And I am smarter than they are. How in the world would I ever be able to write 25,000 words in such a short period of time? These instructors are asking way too much. I am a husband, a dad, a coach, a pastor, a counselor, a student, a hunter, a fisherman and a lawnmower. No way would I ever be able to put together that many words and certainly not in the time allotted.

Now, a couple of weeks after having turned in my thesis (26,720 words)I am rethinking my positions.
#1 I wrote my thesis on the Humanity of Jesus, I didn't cover the subject adequately in 25,000 words and probably couldn't with 50,000.
#2 Even with all my other obligations, I had plenty of time to get it done
#3 I don't know everything
#4 Old People are always right

4 comments:

RevReese said...

If they were right, then that means you were....?
From someone older than you!

P.S.
You are so RIGHT on the time thing!!

Jonathan Melton said...

lol. I find that a lot about my parents. ;)

Btw, Bro. Mike, why don't you come over and check out my and Bro. Richard Merritt's blog (mostly him because he can do so much better job than I)?

Julie Halliday said...

I just wanted to point out to you that I told you that you'd have no problem with your 25,000 word thesis on your "I'll Probably Regret This" post. You can read it for yourself on my comment. Just wanted you to know that I was right, too, and I'm not older!

I love it when I'm right.

JamesCharles said...

Just for those who may be interested, my blog is http://jamessnyder.blogspot.com.

Followers