Friday, February 27, 2009

Daddy's Challenge

I have two sons. Both seem to enjoy success at whatever they set forth to achieve. Whether in the arena of academics or athletics, few brass rings have eluded them. Now don't misunderstand, I am extremely thankful. Our boys, at this stage, enjoy their academic challenges, so their mother and I have little problem getting them to fulfill their obligations.

Our concern is making sure that they always give God the honor and glory. It is an easy thing to become high-minded when every step is a successful one. Do we want our boys to stumble? Absolutely not! But at the same time, problems breed dependency and we want our boys dependent on the Lord.

They are still young. Pride is not yet a serious problem. But it is coming I'm sure. I know that hard challenging days are ahead. But I do not want to wait until they are 16 to teach them the lessons they need in order to grow into the men God would have them to be.

So how do you help teach the "perfect kid" the lesson of humility? We've tried telling them they're stupid...but they are as smart as their momma. We've tried to tell them they're ugly...but they are as good looking as their daddy. What do you do?

4 comments:

JamesCharles said...

Maybe it's just me, but I've found the most dangerous time for me (concerning just before I fall to pride) is when I'm right with God. Usually, when I am right with God and striving harder each day to grow even closer, I gain a peace and joy of walking with the Lord. At this point, pride lurks just around the corner.

Mike Wilkes said...

Kudos, for your speed on the keys.

StockwellMBC said...

No comment still learning that one as mine or only 4 and 2 and smarter and better looking than yours anyway. If you do not believe me just ask me. Ha!!!

Guys on a serious note. I have never told you but I do thank you all so much for your payers for Clayton and I love you guys for it. Please continue to pray for him. We have been told of some "Possible" serious hurdles to cross as he get older. Thanks so much from the top and bottom of my heart!!!!

Julie Halliday said...

Just wait, a young lady will knock them off that high horse soon!

Marissa was on the beta club, honor roll, student of the year all of that good stuff, then guess what happens? boys!

So just wait, it's coming.
lol

Followers