Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Few Good Men

Last night I had the privilege of attending an awards ceremony at Barksdale Air Force Base. Among the attendees were some of the "higher brass" in the area. Bossier City's Mayor, the Base Commander and numerous Colonels and Captains were in the room.

I never served in the military. I always had a longing to, but God had a greater plan for my life. But I do come from a family rich in military heritage. My dad is a Vietnam vet. His dad was a World-War 2 vet. My mom's dad was a World-War 2 vet. So I do have a fair knowledge of the military and their protocol.

The banquet last night was a mixture of both military and civilian personnel. The ratio of attendees was about 90% military and 10% civilian. Upon arrival, everyone walked around socializing with one another. After a while, my wife and I found the table with our names on it and sat down to keep Grandma Pearl company(She can't stand for long periods). Shortly thereafter, I noticed something. Me, my wife, and two other civilians were the only people sitting. All military personnel, dressed in their "mess blues"(which is the equivalent of a civilian tuxedo), were still standing and socializing. One young Sergeant, who was to sit at our table, was standing behind her chair. It was blatantly obvious that she wanted to sit down...but she couldn't.

Military protocol demands that at a military meal, no soldier sits until granted permission to do so.

Then, after the arrival of the base commander, who was running late(what could he have possibly be doing that was more important than banqueting), all soldiers were granted permission to be seated.

Some loathe the military and its life. (A subject to be considered another day) But I admire the discipline, in regard to his relationship to commanding officers, of a soldier. He does what he is told to do. He doesn't have the privilege of an opinion...he does what he is told. I wander if these verses fit?.........

2 Timothy 2:3-4
Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

One extra note...Bossier City's Mayor, Lorenz Walker was the keynote speaker. He said, " Do you know what politicians and diapers have in common? They both need to be changed often...and for the same reason."

1 comment:

JamesCharles said...

I have had a strong desire somewhere in the back of my conscious mind to join the Air Force. It's been with me since high school, and whenever I begin thinking about the military for a length of time, I begin to desire enlisting again. Maybe one day a chaplain?

Of course that requires four years accredited college and four years accredited seminary. Sometime in the future maybe.

Maybe just always desiring. Whatever God wants, I hope to be smart enough to recognize God's will, and wise enough to be content with it.

Followers