Wednesday, January 27, 2010

AreYou Sure YOU Want To Be A Soul-Winner

My subject in this post is the oft used phrases "Winning people to the Lord" or "Soul-winning". Let me preface any further comments by stating that I am not in any way anti-evangelistic.

Within the confines of my fellow bloggers writings has been mentioned the disturbing use of easy-believism techniques. I define these as methods of possibly leading people to hell while convincing them they are on their way to heaven.

The presentation of the gospel to the lost should consist of these facts:
1. All have sinned and come short of the glory God
2. God loves you
3. God loves you so much He sent Jesus to die for your sins
4. God wants to save you from your present condition which does not meet His standards
5. This salvation is offered to you because of what Jesus has done for you
6. Jesus is the only way
7. God will save you if truly believe this, calling out for Him to save you
8. Hell is real
9. Heaven is real
10. Judgment is certain

In a nutshell, the conveyance of this message is evangelism. Some may reword it. Others might change the order. But these truths must be understood and truly believed in order for a person to be saved.

The problems arise after these truths have been presented. What is my obligation before God at this point? Do I now try to persuade them? Am I a "Jesus" salesman who is working on commission and fear a checkless payday if I don't make the sale? Or in my deep-hearted love for this lost person before me, am I blinded so that I cannot see the fact that if this person is going to be saved they have to turn to God...I can't make them.

Mass evangelism is a setting usually associated with huge tents, dynamic speakers and thousands of people hearing the gospel preached. At the close of the service it is common that "anyone who wants to be saved" raise their hand as a public acknowledgment of their needing Jesus as Savior. Then the evangelist will word a prayer usually having the penitent repeat the words. The words are not usually some out-of-way wacky heresy, but usually some patterned "sinner's prayer". Then the evangelist praises the Lord for all the new children of God who have been snatched from hell's flames. Then the new converts are encouraged to go join a church of their choosing.

But "repeat after me-ism" is not exclusive to mass efforts. It is also commonplace in one-on-one evangelism.

This is the most common practice of easy-believism. It is making things, not necessarily as easy, but as comfortable as possible for the sinner. It is a painful thing to stand at the foot of Calvary and have to confess that it is my sin that Jesus died for. So in order to make things easier, the message bearer will pray for the penitent, or simply ask the penitent to repeat a prayer, or raise his hand. This makes it easier.

Easier than what? Easier than taking them to the foot of Calvary and leaving them there.

You see, some believe if we do this (take people to the foot of Calvary and leave them) they (the lost) will not know what to do. But if we have properly explained to them everything the Bible teaches about their need to call on the name of the Lord we have told them all they need to know.

Too often are the times the lost man never truly turns to God, he has been dragged to a point of decision by some over-zealous evangelist. Now you have a person who has been convinced by man that all is well. Some time later the Word will prick their heart to be truly saved and they will fight off conviction with their recollection of their previously enjoyed "experience". How many people have you seen in your ministry who have been saved, but thought they already were? Personally, I've seen too many.

I personally don't win anything or anyone for the Lord. I tell people about Jesus. If there is a soul won in the great battle between God and Satan, I didn't do it. I just put someone on the playing field by leaving them at the foot of Calvary.

3 comments:

marlin freeman said...

Bro. Mike, That is a very good post, I fully agree. Keep up the good work.

Brother Joseph said...

Tonight at Calvary I did just that. I took a 9 or so year old girl to the foot of Calvary and left her there. It was there the Lord God took total control of her heart and she prayed the sweetest prayer. Something like this, "Dear God. I don't know what to say, but I love you and please forgive me of all the bad things I've done. Please forgive me of all my sins and save me. I dont want to go to hell, but to heaven to live with you forever." Brother you can't coach true repentance.

JamesCharles said...

Agreed. The problem I run into is after I've explained all these 10 things (and sometimes more when someone has an inquisitive mind), I don't know exactly what to say. Usually, I say something to close like this, "Do you have any questions? If not, know this. You can be saved at any time. Now, or later, but you have to do it. So whenever you want to be saved, just do what we discussed. I'll be praying for you." Then I leave.

I've had fewer people make professions this way than saying "Do you want to be saved right now? We can pray together," but I think they might be truer professions.

Followers