Sunday, January 3, 2010

Oh No!!! The Preacher Doesn't Know!

It’s been a while, so I will slowly insert my toes into the blogging waters lest I move too fast and lose my footing. I’m restlessly sitting in a hotel room in Dallas. It’s the wee hours of the morning and the reading of preachers’ blogs has served me as a passer of time.

But the more I read, the more concerned I grow over the seemingly unscathed view some preachers have of their opinionated conclusions. Without a doubt, some issues are so clearly and repetitively addressed in the Bible that God has left man without any room for opinion. For example, the only way someone can open the Bible and teach works for salvation is to clearly distort or ignore what God has said. But a wide array of issues are not as clear.

The issues which are not as lucid are varied. The precise placing of the time when Lucifer was cast down or exactly when Jesus will return are obvious examples of issues which have produced a myriad of hypotheses.

We preachers have to frequently deal with these questions, and others, from people who look to us as those who should have the answers. But the honest truth is that sometimes even we preachers do not have a definitive answer. Without a doubt, we have opinions, after all we are preachers and when God called us into the ministry it seems as though our opinion gene was genetically enhanced and our pride cells were multiplied. In other words…I know what I am talking about and don’t even think about telling me I’m wrong!

Is it a bad thing for a preacher to simply say, “I don’t know”?

Well, I don’t know.

4 comments:

JamesCharles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JamesCharles said...

I don't know. We were taught... or let me be sure not to be wrong in this statement... I was taught I should find an answer in the Bible (especially on controversial subjects) and stand strong on it for the rest of my ministry unless I find strong Biblical evidence to suggest otherwise.

Also, note this. When preachers discuss on blogs, it isn't a church member struggling with a question. These are two separate settings. Believe me, when a church member asks me about the tribulation or gap theory, I will say "there are different views on this, but this is what I believe" and I will use the phrase "I believe" or "my opinion" and make sure he knows he needs to study the subject for himself. Usually, I will explain all the views on controversial subjects, and then give my reasoning for why I choose one over the other.

So as you said, I don't know.




Another problem into which we run (does that even make sense), is when one preacher, I or another, believes something is so clearly taught in the Bible there is little room for opinion, and yet others still disagree, just as people do with works for salvation. Determining between the two types of subject matter (overwhelming evidence or little to no evidence) is subjective to an extent.

So I don't know.




Back to the preachers on blogs. If one is to say something on a blog that is merely an opinion, this is fine. I just ask that if you or anyone else does so on mine, you or they leave evidence to support their opinion. Otherwise, I will simply reject the opinion as unsupported.

Much of this has really had nothing to do with what you said. These were just some thoughts I had at the moment.

So I don't know.

Adrian Neal said...

It's fine to say "I don't know" to some things, or perhaps "It really doesn't matter" or "That's just a different way of doing it."

Of course, if it's clear doctrine, then it's not O.K.

I've blogged about some things like the "annual call" or the "Gideons" and nobody seemed to care to comment really.

Discussing these things amongst fellow brethren can sharpen our own beliefs (or change them) yet we should never lose respect for the beliefs (and yes even opinions) of our fellow Christians.
If someone's ministry is simply one argument after another, then perhaps they should become a lawyer (more arguing, more money :)

Brother Joseph said...

I like it Brother Neal. Some would do much better pleading their case.

Followers