Thursday, February 11, 2010

Communism...Could It Be?

Yesterday, while coming home from piano lessons, my son asked me, "Dad, what is propaganda?" Since we were not engaged in any type of discussion along these lines, his question seemed strange. I asked him what in the world would prompt him to ask such a question. He told me that one of his classmates did a social studies project on the Cold War and the propaganda associated with it.

So I did my best to explain to him what I perceive propaganda to be. I told him that propaganda is basically information that is repetitively fed to a people, but the information is factually flawed. I went on to use the example of the "health care crisis" issue in our country. I told him that we certainly have very serious problems with our health care system and its costs, but we are nowhere near being in a state of crisis. But the political powers that be and the media have convinced many people that we do.

I explained to him that communism gets its foot in the door by presenting a supposed "crisis" and then persuading people that government is the only solution.

My son then looked at me and asked, "Well dad, are we communists yet?"

Its a crying shame my 12 year old son has better sense than our leaders.

1 comment:

Brother Joseph said...

Smart 12 year old with opened eyes. This is what is needed.

We may not be in a crisis, but we are in a very bad way with the health care system in this country. I stradle the fence on this one. But i will say I do not wish the government to control it at all.

Followers