Friday, February 12, 2010

When The New Wears Off

Good Morning. I am setting on couch thinking about what fickle characters we are. I just took my dog outside for his early morning business meeting and I was pleasantly surprised to see the amount of snow which has remained on the ground. You see, In Louisiana snow is rare, and it’s sticking and remaining on the ground is even rarer. So we are excited. My boys will wake in a couple of hours and we will probably by-pass our Fruity Pebbles and head straight outside to play. It’s going to be a fun day.

But in other parts of the country, what we are excited about, they think to be mundane. To my Yankee friends, a little snow is no more tantalizing than the rising of the sun. I reckon that if I were exposed to as much snow as they are, its present appeal would soon wane.

This is the intrigue to me. We naturally get excited about the new or unique. Children get excited the first time their eyes behold that new toy. The new car owner can’t wait for all to see him in his new ride. I even had a North Carolina cousin get excited when I took him for a boat ride and he saw trees growing in the lake. He had seen pictures of them before, but he was awed by actually seeing Cypress trees. We southerners get excited about rarely seen snow.

But to all, the new becomes old. The toy that once produced a glisten in the eye of a child has now been reduced to being a bottom-dwelling occupant of a toy box that is rarely opened. The car that was originally washed every other day, now sits in the drive with 2 months of rode grime covering its paint and 2 inches of sand hiding its carpet. If my cousin were to move to the south, he would soon pass by the majestic Cypress trees and never give them a second glance. The snow that causes this southern boy to act like a 7 year old, would be a considered a nuisance if I lived in Minnesota.

What has happened? I guess the best I can figure is it has something to do with the Garden, sin and always wanting something different than that which we have.

Kids set aside their toys to play with something “better”.
Men and women set aside years of marriage to pursue something “better”.
God’s people set aside the “old Bible” to pursue something “better”.
Churches set aside the old traditions to pursue something “better”.

But soon the “betters” of life have become the old and mundane. So new “betters” must be found. But you know what…some of the old stuff is still pretty good.

So this is what I am going to do today…
1. I’m going to enjoy the snow, but I am also going to stand in awe of the beauty and grandeur of the Bald Cypress. I will not overlook the blessing of enjoying any part of God’s awesome creation.
2. When my boys wake up, I’m going to hug them as though I haven’t seen them in a month. Our soldiers wish they could hug their kids right now. I will not overlook this blessing.
3. I’m going to prepare my heart for another “routine” Sunday. “Same ole, same ole”. I am going to preach my message as though it is the last one I convey to the people. It may be. I will not overlook this blessing.
4. I will read my old KJV. I know to some there are “newer and better”. My Great-Grandfather preached from an old KJV. Bro. Hughes was preaching from an old KJV the night I finally cried out for Jesus to save me. God has preserved His Word for me. I will not overlook this blessing.
5. When my wife wakes from her slumber, she will still be as beautiful to me as the 15 year old girl I fell in love with 24 years ago. I will thank God for my wonderful wife and another day that He has given us together. I will not overlook this blessing.

5 comments:

JamesCharles said...

Good post. I remember going around and asking all my neighbors (a block from the Barksdale Air Force Base) if they had any snow shovels. I finally convinced one to borrow it. Man, would you believe I shoveled three drive ways in less than an hour? It was new and exciting. This soon wore off.

I agree with your post. Newness or uniqueness wears off. We should NEVER - EVER accept something just because it is new or "better" at first glance.

When something new is proposed, or losing a tradition is proposed, we would be very wise to search Scriptures with prayer first, and then if we find no answers, think long and hard about why the tradition was there in the first place. We should consider strongly keeping it if at all possible, since it has probably worked for a long time.

If it isn't broke...

Adrian Neal said...

I hesitate to comment on such a personal, fatherly, reflective blog such as this...but I do have one question. I hate to ruffle any feathers because I know how the brethren seem to be a little contentious lately, but, Mike...

Fruity Pebbles??? Really???

Mike Wilkes said...

Well I would have said Cocoa Pebbles but some little nit-wit would twist that one too.

Julie Halliday said...

You mean I can't trade Joe in for a newer model?

All kidding aside, this is one of my favorite posts.

Thanks. :)

bromicah@cbc said...

Man I have typed and deleted like 12 rude, critical, mean and heartless comments. I just can't do it. Give me a hug! :)

Followers